Abandoned Territories - Autodromo de Terramar

/ Spring 2013

New start to the Atelier and a new abandoned territory to examine. Once again, we will be working through the creation of maps to analyse a deserted context open to re-invention, questioning the obsolete character  of a place and speculating on its future life. 

/ Spring 2013 - Abandoned Territories

The Autodromo of Terramar (Sitges, Spain) was built in 1923: aiming to become the National Spanish Racing Circuit, it was inaugurated by the king Alphonso XIII. 
The opening meeting was held on 28 October 1923. The event was for 2-litre GP cars and was won by Albert Divo in a Sunbeam defeating Count Louis Zborowski in a Miller, with a winning speed of 96.91 mph. No prize money was awarded. Unpaid construction overruns caused the builders to seize the gate receipts, leaving the organizers with no money to pay the drivers. As a result, the track was forbidden to host international races again. Drivers also complained about the entry and exit from the bankings claiming the transition from straight to banking and back again was poorly designed. Catalunyan Automobile Club and the Penya Rhin continued to hold races in 1925 with little success. It was sold to Edgard de Morawitz in the 1930s. The last known race held on the oval was in the 1950s. The track and surrounding land is currently an operating chicken farm.